Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Tri Pod 1 General Discussion » General banter - car related.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:35 am 

As a bit of a reminder of what a great way to get around a Tri Pod is to those that are halfway through their build and maybe act as a bit of a motivator to finish it, here is a bit of a story on my recent trip South (and North again).

The trip down map - https://goo.gl/maps/Z8CY3X4ybJR2

The return trip - https://goo.gl/maps/TitNdxKMRMq

About 5000kms all up.

The idea was a quick blast down (3 days), watch the race, shoot into Melbourne for the night and have a rest day on the Monday. Sharron was flying down on the Sunday (race day) to come back as passenger for the 6 day 2600km return trip.

The idea worked and a great time was had by all. The weather on the return trip was mostly kind with only a sprinkle of rain on the second last day and some serious heat from the Qld sun on the last 'get home' day.

On the way down was a little different though with fog, rain, and cold featuring. The car also drowned 2 nights out of three but sponged out nicely for not too wet a drive those days. I could of course make a cover and avoid this as I suggest you all should as very few Motels or Hotels have under cover areas for open car storage. I have gotten away with out a cover for all of my trips except the imfamous ice lake episode on a previous visit to Thredbo and this time. Maybe its time!

I had a few minor failures that I couldn't really control such as the headlight switch (panel mounted old school 'pull on' variety) just exploded in my hand on the second day. The radiator intake scoop raising 'choke' control also came off in my hand towards the end of the drive. I rigged up an arrangement for the headlights where fitting and removing a fuse acted as the headlight switch. Always bring a few tools as it can make many otherwise major issues a non problem.

I also could have checked my mudguard brackets a bit more carefully before leaving as the passenger side failed in a couple of places on the first day and therefore made an annoying rattling sound and I suppose in due course would have parted company completely. These brackets have done really well with only a quick patch up on one small crack prior to this repair (quick on the run repair by a helpful chap). So just under 35,000kms with 2 simple repairs. I have improved on this design too so many builders should get at least 20,000kms without any trouble or need of concern or repair, maybe many many more, depends on how much time you spend on rough and gravel roads.

Otherwise the machine ran beautifully and was a pleasure to guide through some of the very best roads Australia has to offer.

Speaking of roads the one from just east of Bathurst down through Oberon and onto Goulburn is a ripper (check trip down map). But so are many others I drove, its just that I have driven them before and they didn't stand out or surprise me as much as this one. It could also be that the country looks stunning at the moment. I have never seen it so green and healthy looking.

Some pictures -

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_01.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_01.jpg [ 257.92 KiB | Viewed 452 times ]

Lowes Mount Road near Mutton Falls, in turn near Tarana.

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_02.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_02.jpg [ 271.07 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

As above. very green!!

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_03.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_03.jpg [ 306.12 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

As you probably know it rained all day Friday and most of Saturday so by Sunday it was getting a little messy.

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_04.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_04.jpg [ 263.7 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

A general admission at the Island does get you into the Superbike support races paddock. A fine looking machine!!

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_05.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_05.jpg [ 272.42 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

Mr Rossi I believe. Doing a lazy 300 odd. Watching these guys (and the Moto 3 and Moto 2) never gets old.

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_06.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_06.jpg [ 204.39 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

H2 Kwaka looks a whole lot more interesting in the flesh. Does not photograph well in my opinion but would own once seen and touched!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:21 pm 

Pics of the trip home.

First stop after visiting perhaps our most senior builder, Ken at his home near San Remo (forgot to take a pic of Ken working on his Blackbird powered Tri Pod, damn it!) was Wilsons Prom.

BTW Ken is 83 he reckons, he looks younger though!

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_07.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_07.jpg [ 317.96 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

We didn't feed the Rosellas but they fed themselves by landing on you and sticking their heads into whatever packet you might have open. A great lesson on why its bad to feed wildlife but they are super cute.

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_08.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_08.jpg [ 187.27 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_09.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_09.jpg [ 332.42 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

This is the start of the Orbost to Bombala road via Delegate.

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_10.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_10.jpg [ 361.74 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

This is some of the forest and gravel road that is towards the middle to end of the drive. About 15kms of gravel of varying quality. Some quite rough/corrugated.

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_11.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_11.jpg [ 247.19 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

Once you pop out the other side into NSW it looks like this!

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_12.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_12.jpg [ 248.33 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

I don't know whether there is a plague on but wild or native bees troubled us from Wilsons Prom to Tumut. Seem to like the colour but also the dead insects already on the car.

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_13.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_13.jpg [ 260.46 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

On top of the Snowy Mountains on the Snowy Mountains Highway. Quite a big pack of Brumbies behind the camera at some distance (too far to make a worthwhile pic with crappy phone camera).

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_14.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_14.jpg [ 224.5 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

Happened across the site where Ken Warby smashed the water speed world record years ago that no one has beaten since. He and his son are building a new boat now apparently that will potentially break that record (will be driven by son).

Attachment:
tpc_pi_2016_15.jpg
tpc_pi_2016_15.jpg [ 350.56 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

Between Merriwa and Scone. Last bit of empty road before joining the New England Highway for the drag north. 3 cars in 50kms, attractive country, twisting road of good quality. Not unpleasant driving at all.

The Original Tri Pod has now covered just shy of 60,000kms in the 4 years it has been on the road.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:03 pm 

Nice write up Andrew, and great pictures of the countryside. The orange beast is still looking grand as well.

PS. I've been slack in my build since my last wrist surgery, but coming along nicely now...hopefully the build will gain momentum.

I'm so anxious to get behind the wheel and finally get some wind therapy!

BTW, the new decals look great too.

Cheers,

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:10 pm 

Nice one Andrew.
Looks like you had a good run.
Cheers
Mal

Board index » Tri Pod 1 General Discussion » General banter - car related.