Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Tri Pod 1 General Discussion » Tri Pod 1 Kit Build Diaries

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:38 pm 

OK Andrew
In relation to my last post on the reverse mechanism, here are some photo's with the pivot point moved 5mm forward. The whole arm still moves freely, no binding anywhere, and I really cant see how it could make contact now.
The whole swingarm would have to be compressed to about a 45degree angle to the frame, and I don't want to be driving it if that's the case :o

Attachments:
IMG_3544.jpg
IMG_3544.jpg [ 226.86 KiB | Viewed 347 times ]
IMG_3543.jpg
IMG_3543.jpg [ 248.35 KiB | Viewed 347 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:08 pm 

I have decided to provide some additional cooling for the engine cowl. Particularly when you stop, it gets pretty warm.
Shouldn't look too bad when its all painted the same colour.

Attachments:
IMG_3547.jpg
IMG_3547.jpg [ 269.55 KiB | Viewed 347 times ]
IMG_3546.jpg
IMG_3546.jpg [ 155.79 KiB | Viewed 347 times ]
IMG_3545.jpg
IMG_3545.jpg [ 196.72 KiB | Viewed 347 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:46 pm 

OK, no real reason for this post, except to have a whinge about people who say they are going to do something, and don't. Cases in point:
1 Put the exhaust pipes in for ceramic coating. Apparently it helps to keep the heat inside the pipes, improves performance and as an aside it stops the whole engine bay from getting that hot you can fry an egg on the cowl. Was told 7 - 10 working days to do the job. Phoned on the 9th day (Monday) to see where things were at. Told, yeah, we have just sand blasted the pipes, and the job should be ready later in the week! :evil:
2 The SWIMBO and I finally decided on the upholstery, and put the seat and dash into an upholsterer that seemed good. Was told that he would have the foam padding in that week so I could check out if it was comfortable etc, before he went on and did the covering. Two weeks later, had not heard anything so called in to his workshop. Seat and dash sitting where I had left them, nothing had been done. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Not happy Jan!
About the only thing I am happy about at the moment is the painting. I have finally finished it. Attached is a few photos of the panels sitting out in the sun to warm up and set the clear coat. Unfortunately, I did not have a spray booth available to me, so have wound up with a few small insects and dust spots. Ah well, as the missus says, if it looks good from 20 metres away at 20km/hr then its all good :lol:

Attachments:
File comment: No smartarse comments about the lawn needing a mow please!
IMG_3553.JPG
IMG_3553.JPG [ 550.94 KiB | Viewed 306 times ]
IMG_3552.JPG
IMG_3552.JPG [ 629.69 KiB | Viewed 306 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:44 pm 

OK, the upholstery is finished. Put a bit of pressure on the upholsterer, and he got it sorted.
I'm pretty happy with the result. I was originally thinking of leather, but was reluctant to pay what amounted to the national debt to get it done in leather, so opted for a nice vinyl, with cloth inserts.
Looking at the photo of the dash, it looks a little lumpy, but in normal light it is nowhere near that bad. The upholsterer also said that it should tighten up a little in the sun over time.
Very close now!

Attachments:
IMG_3558.JPG
IMG_3558.JPG [ 471.68 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]
IMG_3557.JPG
IMG_3557.JPG [ 374.49 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]
IMG_3556.JPG
IMG_3556.JPG [ 309.83 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:00 pm 

Mal - How is progress going? Got the lovely regoplate yet?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:51 pm 

Hi Colin
Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been away up north on holidays.

The short answer is no, the local Department of Transport has decided to be difficult. I submitted my car for engineering inspection about 3 months ago, and it passed with flying colours, except for the rear lighting, so I made up a mount to push out the stop lights and indicators to the requirement of being within 400mm of the max width of the vehicle. (First picture I think). It looks shithouse, but it was what I thought was required.

The DOT rejected that stating:
The tail lights will need to be within 300mm of the rear of the vehicle. (which they were)
These are the stop and tail lights, indicators, number plate, reverse lights and reflectors. (not the reverse or number plate though)
Do not mount the lights on the swing arm, this will mean fabricating a frame work off the main chassis.
Please note that the tail lights must be within 400mm of the max width of the vehicle.
The width of your vehicle is 1810mm, therefore you need 1010mm minimum distance
measured to the centre of each pair of lights. Keep the height of the lights similar to where indicators are now.
You can leave the centre stop light where it is.

I suppose I could have argued the point, but I'm sure that just makes them more difficult to get along with!

So I have had to make up an abomination of a framework to get everything out to where they want it. Unfortunately, due to some family dramas, and then going on holiday, its been on the back burner. Hopefully, I will have it finished next week.

Cheers
Mal

Attachments:
6.JPG
6.JPG [ 563.28 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]
4.JPG
4.JPG [ 481.63 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 541.47 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 515.97 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]
5.JPG
5.JPG [ 443.27 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:24 pm 

Only a burecarat would want you to spoil such beautiful work with such rules that will be removed as soon as registered

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:33 pm 

I have been a bit busy Mal and hadn't seen this update. Bad news on the dept playing silly buggers (sounds like a load of made up BS that has little in common with ADR requirements for LEP2) BUT congratulations on building a fine looking machine!!

Great colour! I'm guessing you have tasted the speed by now... !! Its fun isn't it!

Anyway, do what ever they want and then retro fit whatever you want post rego plate. Surely the lights being visible and usable would be the priority, but no the priority is the wanker at the depts ego. Massage ego and then move on as you have obviously made the choice to do.

Congratulations again on building a stunning looking pod and enjoy the drive.

Andrew.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:57 pm 

Hi Andrew
Yeah, playing the game. As it happened, they knocked me back again on the taillights, and I have had to manufacture this abomination to satisfy the DOT.
I have been slack of late, as its not TriPod driving weather, and have not had the final examination made. Unfortunately I have to take the car up to Perth for examination, as none of the regional centres will touch an ICV. Because you have to book weeks in advance for an examination, and its been peeing down with rain for a while now, I have not really bothered. Must pull my finger out though!!!
Cheers
Mal

Attachments:
IMG_3766.JPG
IMG_3766.JPG [ 328.06 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:02 pm 

I hope it has been designed with breakaway fasteners that fail just minutes after a successful exam at the dept of pedantic tossers...??

I really don't understand what they are getting at. What you have there looks exactly the same from behind as what we normally suggest/provide (excluding the scaffolding of course).

Anyways it doesn't matter, play the game, let it all fall off, and enjoy the resulting legal drive.

Andrew.

PS. We haven't had any non Tri Pod weather this season yet! No rain and no cool. Could really do with some rain though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Board index » Tri Pod 1 General Discussion » Tri Pod 1 Kit Build Diaries