Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Tri Pod 1 General Discussion » Tri Pod 1 Kit Build Diaries

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:54 pm 

OK, I have been really slack. The car has been registered a couple of months now, and I should have jumped on the forum and let you all know how it went. But I have been out driving and having a ball........... Its an absolute bloody hoot!!!!!!!
The examining officer at the DOT was going to knock me back on the scaffolding out the back, saying it was a "catch hazard" for pedestrians. I argued that it was exactly what they specified, but he was still going to knock me back. Fortunately another examiner came out (I suspect the supervisor) and after a brief discussion about how it should be laid out, he turned to the other one and said what the client (me) did with the vehicle after it left there was basically up to them. So, after some grumbling, he (the first examiner) eventually relented.
So, some pic's. Some of them were taken at the Bunbury annual toy run, organised by the local Harley club. Andrew, I have discovered one drawback to being so low to the ground. You are so much closer to the racket that a Harley with straight through pipes makes :cry:
I added the windscreen a couple of weeks ago. I really loved the "wind in the hair" (if I had some that is) feeling, but the SWMBO was getting a bit edgy, so I made up the polycarbonate screen. It works really well, the only slight drawback is that you get a bit of hot air drawn back into the passenger compartment from the engine. No biggie though!
Andrew, has the business been sold or what?
Take care all.
Mal

Attachments:
IMG_3790.JPG
IMG_3790.JPG [ 437.81 KiB | Viewed 62 times ]
IMG_3789.JPG
IMG_3789.JPG [ 577.64 KiB | Viewed 62 times ]
IMG_3788.JPG
IMG_3788.JPG [ 565.39 KiB | Viewed 62 times ]
IMG_3787.JPG
IMG_3787.JPG [ 523.66 KiB | Viewed 62 times ]
IMG_3786.JPG
IMG_3786.JPG [ 479.54 KiB | Viewed 62 times ]
IMG_3783.JPG
IMG_3783.JPG [ 554.59 KiB | Viewed 62 times ]
IMG_3782.JPG
IMG_3782.JPG [ 412.28 KiB | Viewed 62 times ]
IMG_3781.JPG
IMG_3781.JPG [ 399.19 KiB | Viewed 62 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 am 

Wow!!! That is a stunning build Mal that you can be (and I am sure you are) very very proud of. No doubt may passers by are saying just that! Nice effort with the windscreen too. very tidy!!

Yes the business is sold and has been in the hands of Rob for a few months now.

I think he maybe quiet on here as he is very busy setting up manufacturing at his own premises. He didn't just do a walk in/walk out with mine he moved everything to his place and is no doubt also busy finishing the 2 kits (ZX14) that he also purchased from me. He may have orders as well. I have not spoken to him much recently as I immediately buggered off on a 2 month break that turned into 3...

We are catching up soon so I suspect he will fill me in on what he has been up to.

From what we talked about during a three month changeover/training period Tri Pod would seem to have a strong future.

Congratulations again on being brave, taking on a big project, from an unknown (almost) and completing it beautifully. Having clocked some testing kms in Tony's ZX14 example I constructed for him I know what a mind bending machine the Busa must be to pilot. I have driven some cool cars but nothing with just so much instant oomph and instant stop. They are raving about the new McLaren with 800 HP in 1200kg but we but ain't a whole lot behind that power to weight ratio, and for loose change compared with the mental money that is. I also still feel strongly there is no substitute for just plain old lightness and there is now car that weighs so little as a Tri Pod.

Enjoy, you have earned it!

Regards, Andrew.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:20 pm 

Hi Andrew
Yeah, its "bloody quick", I can tell you that. I have taken a few friends for a ride and I am quite sure there was a bit of terror in their eyes when they got out.
One of the reasons for the outstanding acceleration is that I went down 1 tooth on the front and up 3 on the rear. The main reason for that was to save the additional loading on the clutch moving a heavier vehicle. The downside is that it wheelspins in first, second and third if I floor it, and let the revs get up to where the engine is developing some grunt. Have not had the courage to do it in fourth yet (into the high rev range).
Also, I am not happy with the revs the motor is doing at 110km/hr in 6th gear. Its almost 4.5K, and is noisy with the air breather immediately behind your ears. No biggie though, I always knew that those sprockets were a guess, and its easy enough to change. Next step is to go to a standard front sprocket ( which I think may solve the issue ), and then change the rear as needed. I know changing the front sprocket is a "coarser" adjustment so to speak, due to the smaller size, but it should be cheaper than trying numerous rears. Will keep you posted.
Cheers
Mal

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 pm 

Just to follow on from my last post, I have been playing with gearing/sprockets.
As it turns out, I have gone back to the original Hayabusa gearing, and in all honesty, I think that it is the best. The car still gets away from stop without any problems or bogging down, and the revs at highway speeds are better. It still wheelspins in lower gears, but not quite as readily, which is also better. I'm not changing lower gears quite so quickly either.
The only downside may be the wear and tear on the clutch, but only time will tell. I figure Mr Suzuki put in a pretty substantial clutch into this beast in the first place, so as long as I don't go stupid, it should last.
Cheers
Mal

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Board index » Tri Pod 1 General Discussion » Tri Pod 1 Kit Build Diaries