Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Tri Pod 1 General Discussion » Parts for sale - sourcing

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:08 pm 

Latest news on Tri Pod tyre choices

I currently have 195/50R15 Federal 595RSR tyres on the front and they are amazing and wear extremely slowly.

I have a Achilles 123 semi slick on the back in the size of 205/40R17. It is wearing fairly quickly but offers amazing grip and feel.

Achilles sounds like a dud Chinese brand (its actually made in Indonesia...) and as a brand is not well regarded but be assured my three wheeled friends this is far and away the best tyre I have EVER had on the rear of the Orange Prototype.

Grip is to the point that I can barely spin the rear and its nearly as driveable/controllable/offers as much feel as the Kumho V70a in the wet. Dry grip is well ahead of the Kumho though. The way the car feels so planted in the rear is also at least as good as the V70 but it rides better than the V70.

Out of the box it was good but after a couple of 100 ks I realised I couldn't light up the rear at all and the feel had improved to the point that it was the best so far. Now after about 7000kms (5000kms in one trip so less hard starts and more just rolling along) its more than half worn. More or less worn out in the middle in fact but that's partly because I pumped it right up for the trip and forgot I had so it was quite over inflated. Correct pressure is probably between 23 and 28 psi.

Why does it work so well? I think at least partly because it gets more rubber on the road. The fitment on a 5.5" rim is of course not quite right (to small a rim) and think it might be a bit of a fluke that the characteristics of the 123 Achilles suit the dodgy fitting. ie. The combination of side wall flex/stiffness with tread compound and tread flex just seems spot on for a very light car such as the Tri Pod.

To sum up - The orange thing has never driven as well as it does right now. Do not underestimate the importance of having the right tyres on the car to get excellent grip handling and a hooked up/glued to the road feel.

Regards, Andrew.

Board index » Tri Pod 1 General Discussion » Parts for sale - sourcing